Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2012 20:27:57 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        ren_pro@yahoo.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome

On Sun, 2 Dec 2012 18:36:23 +0000, ren_pro@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hello, I was wondering if you can use Gnome to run your FreeBSD
> server, instead of using let's say Direct Admin ?

Because servers often don't have screens and mice, and running X
is often one of the last things they do, there aren't much solutions
"to run" (I assume you mean: "to manage") a server. However,
installing X and Gnome (as well as other desktop environments
and window managers) is a simple task on FreeBSD. There are
even GUI tools within those environments to allow you to do
administration of software packages, networking and firewall,
and many other things.

However, the direct access to server functionality seems to be
the preferred way admins work, because it is usually faster,
more secure, better understandable and independent from additional
software.

Depending on your needs, different approaches may apply.

> If so, is there any literature on it ?

Check you The FreeBSD Handbook: Start with the basics of installing
X and then dive into specific topics about the software you are
going to run on Gnome.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-install.html

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html