Date:      Wed, 09 Apr 1997 02:37:56 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Josh Gilliam <soil@quick.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new ping option

> I'd like to see a new ping option which does the opposite of -a; includes
> a bell character when the packet is lost. -A seems to be the proper name
> for such an option.

This whole direction for ping is a complete and total crock. :-(

If you want to make this general, have ping(1) return a status on a
single failure or a single success, then choosing to beep, fart,
whistle, flash or provide whatever form of notification most pleases
you.  There is NO reason I can see for building this behavior into
ping, and whomever added the beep (well, OK, it was Bruce Murphy - CVS
doesn't allow you to play coy very convincingly about this kind of
thing :-) should probably be shot at dawn, but I suppose we could also
spare him and simply back out that most un-UNIX-like change to
ping. :-)

					Jordan