Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 01:49:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ethernet bug - 2.1.6-RELEASE

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Joe McGuckin wrote:

> I've noticed that if I disconnect the ethernet cable from my
> de0 NIC, I no longer see the warning message about the cable
> being unplugged. Also, when I plug it back in, I no longer
> see the message about the UTP cable being plugged in.
>
> Also, once disconnected, the ethernet port no longer works and
> the machine must be rebooted to restore functionality.
>
> joe

  This seems somewhat dependant on the kind of card used.

  A SMC Etherpower 10/UTP behaves correctly, if disconnected and
reconnected.

  A D-Link (DE-650?) with BNC/UTP did not do this properly.  Fooling about
with "ifconfig de0 -linkX" did manage to get it working again.

  I think the problem is that some cards don't properly indicate whether a
particular interface is working, or not working, to the driver, except on
power-on.

Tom