Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 1995 11:47:52 -0700
From:      tst@titan.cs.mci.com (Thomas S. Traylor)
To:        u923168@student.canberra.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netscape 2.0b1 fouls directory

|> Which user did you do this as?  Please elaborate on the part where you
|> say "cannot be rm'd"  Thanks!
|>
|>                                 Jordan
|>

|> > Netscape 2.0b1 created a directory ~/.netscape-cache which cannot be rm'd.
|> > I mv'd it to .foo and restart netscape which recreated the file .netscape
|> >
|> > Then tried to cd to .foo, works.. now say ls and it returns:
|> > ls: .: No such file or directory
|> >
|> > The machine has been rebooted which should have run fsck on the partition
|> > (I think..) no complaints of file system problems.
|> >
|> > How can I repair this netscape damage ?
|> >
|> > regards
|> > kim
|> >
|> > --
|> > kimc@w8hd.org
|> >

|The *exact* same thing happened to me.  I rebooted into single user mode,
|fsck'd the partition, and it removed the directory.  When I ran Netscape
|again, it worked as normal.  It probably only stuffs thing up when
|"upgrading" the old .netscape files.

|This was done as "root".

I just upgrade Netscape to 2.0b1 last night and did not have this problem.  I
was using the root account at the time. Netscape asked if I wanted to delete
the old version's directory and create the new one. I said sure why not.  It
did its thing and everything worked out fine.  No problems creating or
accessing the new .netscape directory.

I'm currently running FreeBSD 2.05 (release, from the cdrom). I haven't yet
tried the new version of Netscape from another account yet, but I will and if I
happen to experience this problem I'll let you know.

|Dan ...
|[                   Danny Gasparovski | Mortified by the lack of conscience    ]
|[     u923168@student.canberra.edu.au | Our sanctity bears no relevance        ]
|[   University of Canberra, Australia | Insignificant is our existence         ]
|[ Bolt Thrower, "The IVth Crusade" -> | Hear the litany of life's persistence  ]

Tom
tst@titan.cs.mci.com