Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 08:52:15 +0100
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Mike Squires <mikes@ct980320-b.blmngtn1.in.home.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Inbound connections to NT4 Server behind FreeBSD natd/firewall

Mike Squires schrieb:

> I use a FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE box as a firewall/natd gateway for my home
> network.  I have an NT 4 Server running IIS4/FP 4.0 extensions and Oracle
> 8.1.6 behind that firewall.
>
> The internal network uses non-routing IP numbers; the external network is
> @home's.
>
> I would like to temporarily make the NT4 server accessible for connections
> initiated by outside users for a development project, but can't figure
> out any easy way of doing that.  Outbound connections are, of course, a
> piece of cake.
>
> The only solution I can think of would be to map the inbound connections to
> http and FP to the NT4 server in the firewall script, but this would seem to
> be dangerous given my low opinion of NT4 in a DMZ environment.

Several possibilities exist:

- Have your external partner add a route to your network manually into
his routing table.
- Install a VPN pointing to any FreeBSD box supporting it.
- Use any secure tunnel (needs two boxers, one at your partner, one
inside your network).
- Have your firewall forward unusual ports to the NT box. (e.g.
firewall/port 230 -> NT box/port 23 to forward telnet access). Your
application must be able to specify unusual ports to use this.

HTH
-Christoph Sold