Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 2020 09:46:57 +0100
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Total newbie with bhyve

On 07/08/2020 08:43, Jacques Foucry wrote:
> Hello Friends,
>
> I am a total newbie with bhyve, but I need a virtual machine linux in order to
> run docker.
>
> Is it possible to have this kind of configuration:
>
> FreeBSD 12-p7 -> bhyve (debian buster) -> docker with web acces ?
>
> This is a real theoric question for now but I know that one day I will need to
> have this kind of configuration.
>
> Of course VirtualBox is a anoter approch, but I perfer to use FreeBSD main
> virtualization technology.
>
> Thanks for your advices and your time to my silly question.

I've recently started using bhyve rather than VirtualBox. If you haven't
seen it, take a look at the sysutils/vm-bhyve port, it wraps up bhyve in
a convenient form, and I've found it very easy to use.

For your specific needs, I have no experience with docker. However, I've
just set up a vm running Ubuntu so my wife has a second machine in house
on which to run EnergyPlus.

That all went fine apart from a few niggles about the keyboard. I made
the mistake of telling Ubuntu I had a UK keyboard, forgetting that the
console was virtualised via VNC, and the non-alphanumeric keys got
scrambled. Setting Ubuntu's view of my keyboard to US ANSI fixed most of
the problem. If you ssh into the vm keyboard layout doesn't matter anyway.

--
The number of people predicting the demise of Moore's Law doubles
every 18 months.