Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 11:16:47 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: List of things to move from main tree to ports (was Re:  Wish List (was: Re: The /usr/bin/games bikeshed again))

In message <200102161905.f1GJ5Yw01853@earth.backplane.com>, Matt Dillon
writes:
> :>     I'll collect all the responses from the list together and put together
> :>     a comprehensive list, then post it tonight.
> :
> :Please move Sendmail to ports.  People should have a choice of which
> :MTA they want to use.  Sendmail should not have any special status when
> :compared to other MTA's in ports.  Qmail and postfix are quite popular
> :too and they are in ports.
> :
> :BIND:  There is a growing groundswell in favour of djbdns.  People
> :should have a choice.  Once again if they choose djbdns, BIND takes up
> :space that could be used by other software on the disk.  Economy.
>
>    I have to disagree.  Our base system must be operational without forcing
>    people to install certain ports.  We need a working bind and a working
>    mail subsystem in the base system.  We can let people turn it off, but we
>    can't shift these to ports.
>
>    In regards to djbdns... as much as I aplaud security-centric designs,
>    the djbdns code is virtually unmaintainable -- unformatted, uncommented,
>    and a mess.  Despite his essentricities Paul Vixie and the code he produce
>    is a whole lot easier to work with.  I'd rather wait for Bind-9 to
>    stabilize and then move the base system to that then to shift to djbdns.
>
>    (I'll add these to the list under 'extremely controversial', which they
>    are).

One could say the same about the "r" commands, telnet, and ftp.  For
telnet and ftp:  Extremely controversial.  For the "r" commands, I'd
rate the issue as half way between controversial and extremely
controversial.  What do you think?

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC