Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 1999 16:51:03 +1000
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Ludo Koren <ludo_koren@tempest.sk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum + crashed plex

On Friday,  3 September 1999 at 17:34:06 +0200, Ludo Koren wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> today I was upgrading my system on stable branch. It is marked as
> FreeBSD 3.3-RC. During the compilation and installation process, my
> system crashed twice (UPS problem). After installation I couldn't
> reboot; the system cannot do fsck on vinum volume.

That should have worked, based on the
> Here is my configuration of vinum volume:
>
> drive d1 device /dev/wd0s1g
> drive d2 device /dev/wd2s2f
> volume mirror
>  plex org concat
>    sd length 512m drive d1
>  plex org concat
>    sd length 512m drive d2
>
> When I boot to single and start vinum manually there is an error
> message about crashed d2 plex and afterwards I can see the following
> status:

If you want me to analyse the error message, you should tell me what
it is.

> vinum -> ls
> S mirror.p0.s0          State: up       PO:        0  B Size:        512 MB
> S mirror.p1.s0          State: down     PO:        0  B Size:        512 MB
> vinum -> lp
> P mirror.p0           C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:        512 MB
> P mirror.p1           C State: faulty   Subdisks:     1 Size:        512 MB
> vinum -> ld
> D d1                    State: up       Device /dev/wd0s1g      Avail: 0/512 MB (0%)
> D d2                    State: down     Device /dev/wd2s2f      Avail: 0/0 MB

You can do all these commands with

  vinum -> l

You'll also get the volume info, which is important too.

> I am able to mount the mirror disk.

How do you do that without fsck?

> I don't want to experiment with the plex too much because there is
> my home directory on it with all my data. Please, can you tell me
> what should I do to bring it back up?

 start mirror.p1

But first you need to find why drive d2 is down.

> PS: Vinum was working great so far. Well done. Thanks.

Glad you like it.

Greg