Date:      Sun, 22 Jan 2023 15:11:47 +0100 (CET)
From:      Ronald Klop <ronald-lists@klop.ws>
To:        Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: An idea for swap partition size vs. swap space size in use handling

------=_Part_6_262847912.1674396706881

Van: Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
Datum: zondag, 22 januari 2023 05:41
Aan: freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Onderwerp: An idea for swap partition size vs. swap space size in use handl=
ing
>=20
> I have boot media that are each set up to boot a variety
> of systems that have widely different RAM sizes, from
> 1 GiBytes to 64 GiBytes for the aarch64 examples of this.
>=20
> This has lead to having multiple swap partitions of
> various sizes so that I can have total swap spaces that
> are somewhat under the recommended maximum sizes for the
> amount of RAM in each of those systems that a given media
> can boot.
>=20
> It would be nice if I could have just one swap partition
> on a given boot media, one that is more than sufficient
> in size for all but the biggest RAM system --but to then
> be able to tell the system to just use up to the
> recommended swap space size and to ignore any extra swap
> space in the swap partition.
>=20
> If such could be done, I'd no longer use multiple swap
> partitions at the same time in order to get to a desired
> total for the system at hand at the time.
>=20
> Of course, that still leaves what to do when multiple
> swap partitions are enabled if such a "ignore what
> would be extra" mode was also enabled. As I'd not use
> such, I've no specific recommendations to make that
> would make any difference to my use.
>=20
> =3D=3D=3D
> Mark Millard
> marklmi at yahoo.com
>=20
> =C3=82=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

Hi Mark,

Do you mean you would like to be able to add a "size" parameter to the fsta=
b swap line?

/dev/da0p1      none            swap    sw,size=3D1g              0       0

Another option I can think of is using the "gnop" geom provider. It has a -=
s parameter to set the size.

Regards,
Ronald.
=C3=82=20
------=_Part_6_262847912.1674396706881

<strong>Aan:</strong> freebsd-current &lt;freebsd-current@freebsd.org&gt;<b=
r>
<strong>Onderwerp:</strong> An idea for swap partition size vs. swap space =
size in use handling</p>

x; border-left: #000000 2px solid; margin-right: 0px">
et up to boot a variety<br>
of systems that have widely different RAM sizes, from<br>
1 GiBytes to 64 GiBytes for the aarch64 examples of this.<br>
This has lead to having multiple swap partitions of<br>
various sizes so that I can have total swap spaces that<br>
are somewhat under the recommended maximum sizes for the<br>
amount of RAM in each of those systems that a given media<br>
can boot.<br>
It would be nice if I could have just one swap partition<br>
on a given boot media, one that is more than sufficient<br>
in size for all but the biggest RAM system --but to then<br>
be able to tell the system to just use up to the<br>
recommended swap space size and to ignore any extra swap<br>
space in the swap partition.<br>
If such could be done, I'd no longer use multiple swap<br>
partitions at the same time in order to get to a desired<br>
total for the system at hand at the time.<br>
Of course, that still leaves what to do when multiple<br>
swap partitions are enabled if such a "ignore what<br>
would be extra" mode was also enabled. As I'd not use<br>
such, I've no specific recommendations to make that<br>
would make any difference to my use.<br>
=3D=3D=3D<br>
Mark Millard<br>
marklmi at yahoo.com<br>
=C3=82&nbsp;</div>

<hr></div>
Hi Mark,<br>
Do you mean you would like to be able to add a "size" parameter to the fsta=
b swap line?<br>
/dev/da0p1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; none&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; swap&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; sw,size=3D1g &n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 0&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 0<br>
Another option I can think of is using the "gnop" geom provider. It has a -=
s parameter to set the size.<br>
Regards,<br>
Ronald.<br>
=C3=82&nbsp;</body></html>