Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:54:36 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doceng@FreeBSD.org, doc@FreeBSD.org, www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [CALL FOR REVIEW] doc and www converted to XML

On 08/20/2012 14:47, Gabor Kovesdan wrote:
> Em 20-08-2012 23:24, Doug Barton escreveu:
>> 1. On http://people.freebsd.org/~gabor/xmlweb/data/ the vertical
>> separators on the location bar extend down below the grey
>> background. Not sure if this is a byproduct of my default font
>> setting being larger than normal or not.
>
> I think so because I tried in two different browsers (Firefox and
> Opera) and it seems normal to me. But if I click on the Large text
> option, it renders badly. But interestingly, if I only keep pressing
> Ctrl-+ it never goes wrong.

Yes, my understanding is that that what I do (set the minimum default
size) somehow works differently than what Ctrl-+ does.

> I think that nowadays it is possible in
> any modern browser to adjust text size, so maybe we should rely on
> that feature and remove the text size setting and the associated
> JavaScript code. This is something I thought of earlier but haven't
> yet raised it on the lists. I'll raise it up when going for the next
> step of refactoring.

That location bar has traditionally been a thorn in my side because of
the default font settings. If we could get the same utility with a
different (and less fragile) back end construction that would be a
fabulous result. :)

[ examples snipped ]

> These both come from the fact that class names are now all in lower
> case. I don't know the exact reason since I only converted them to
> lower case in htdocs/ since these are generated with DSSSL. What I
> suspect is that whether they are generated upper or lower case has to
> do with tidy. It did such things like converting elements to upper
> case or messing up character sets, that's why I disabled it in the
> Hungarian translation from the beginning and now for the whole web. It
> is also planned to disable it entirely for all docs but the output
> that Jade generates isn't that fancy. I'll track this down.

Ok, I hope that this turns out to be an easy fix.

>> I hope that this feedback is useful.
>
> Of course, it was very useful! I noticed that everything was readable
> but I didn't remember to visually compare the results. Thanks for the
> review!

Glad to help.

Doug

--

    I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can do
    something.  And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what