Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 1995 09:19:45 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        davidg@root.com
Cc:        hsu@cs.hut.fi, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISP state their FreeBSD concerns

> > >    We've been having similar problems with Seagate Hawks on
> > > wcarchive. I plan
> > > to switch them out for 4GB Quantum Grand Prixs in the near term.
> >
> >Have you discussed about this with seagate?  With sparcs they seem to work
> >just fine.
>
>    No, I haven't. I think the Hawks have firmware bug(s) that only show up
> after days of heavy disk I/O and/or when interacting with drives from other
> manufacturers. I have very little patience for this this kind of thing which
> is why I have no plans to mess around with Seagate tech support. Of course
> it's also possible that there is a problem with the Adaptec 2940 sequencer
> code that's in FreeBSD, but I'm beginning to seriously doubt that.

have you attempted to verify this by replacing the Adaptec controllers
with, say, NCR in a similar environment?

Sequencer code written in the face of manufacturer opposition simply
does not give me the warm fuzzies (no slight on the Adaptec driver
intended -- though if you want to view it as a slight on Adaptec, feel
free to do so 8-)).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---