Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 1997 18:56:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: P6 MB recommendations

On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Gary Palmer wrote:

> Steve Passe wrote in message ID
> <199703051936.MAA05910@clem.systemsix.com>:
> > this looks like an interesting board, I run the GA586DX and am very happy
> > with it.  I expect to buy a dual P6 within the next 6 months and
> > would choose between this board and the ASUS P65UP5/CP6ND.  The ASUS
> > is currently the ONLY board known to work with SMP/APIC_IO and PCI cards
> > with bridge chips on them. (that is, without doing special programming hacks
> > in the kernel to get around the problem)  Examples of bridge cards are
> > the dual/quad ethernet controllers, the adaptec dual channel 3940, etc.
>
> Any word about the Tyan Tital Pro boards? We have a couple of those
> here, and I was considering getting one for home as they are pretty
> nice boards.

I have one running smp.  I have two p6/166's in there, because I could get
them _much_ cheaper than p6/200's, and they had 512K cache (versus 256K
for the available p6/200's, at least at some reasonable price.  I've had
no problem with it at all.

I have to admit I haven't been trying any performance checks, except to
prove to myself that I really was seeing a real improvement when I
activated the 2nd CPU.  Did that by comparisons of kernel building times,
using make -j from 1 to 8, for both the single and dual processor cases.
I did indeed see definite improvement, but I've mislaid that data
somewhere.

If you want specific performance data, tell me what you want me to do.  I
can say it makes a hell of a FreeBSD host.

> Gary
> --
> Gary Palmer                                          FreeBSD Core Team Member
> FreeBSD: Turning PC's into workstations. See http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/ for info

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |