Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 12:20:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/10281: Crash of 3.1-STABLE system due to scsi error.

The following reply was made to PR kern/10281; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To: marijn@gewis.win.tue.nl (Marijn Meijles)
Cc: mjacob@feral.com, freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 13:16:08 -0700 (MST)

 Marijn Meijles wrote...
 > You wrote:
 > >
 > > Umm, I know nothing about this.  If there is a bug in the SCSI subsystem
 > > that causes crashes, why haven't I heard about it?
 > >
 > > And which machine at "cdrom.com" is crashing?
 > >
 > I think wcarchive, but it was during a party that I spoke with the guy,
 > so it was all a bit 'clouded'. I'll mail him and get back to you with
 > some more details.

 Yeah, I'd like to hear about it.  If it is wcarchive, David Greenman has
 been uncharacteristically silent on it.

 > > > I think we have the same problem, do you know more about this?
 > > > The error message is:
 > > > devstat_end_transaction: HELP!! busy_count for da2 < 0 (-245774)
 > > > biodone: buffer already done
 > > >
 > > > the busy counts gets more and more negative.
 > >
 > > Now that is interesting.  That indicates that, somehow or another,
 > > transactions are getting done more than once.
 > >
 > > Which version of sys/cam/scsi/scsi_da.c do you have?  Can you mail me the
 > > file?
 > >
 > ok, I'll mail it seperately.

 It looks normal enough.  I'm not sure what could be going on.  I haven't
 seen this sort of problem before.

 > > If you're getting crashes, it would help immensely if you could provide a
 > > stack trace from the panic.
 > >
 > Yup, I know. I've instructed the guys at the university to write down
 > everything, but the crash of today just showed this and no panic. you
 > could only ping and it had to be rebooted.

 Hmm, sounds like it may just be a hang and not a panic.

 It's possible that it could be a bug in the aha driver or something.  That
 driver hasn't been tested extensively.  Some portion of the system is
 causing transactions to get completed more than once.

 Ken
 --
 Kenneth Merry
 ken@plutotech.com