Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 15:30:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Pechter <pechter@lakewood.com>
To:        adam@homeport.org (Adam Shostack)
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: security hole in FreeBSD

FreeBSD'ers

Adam and I have been debating this one offline a bit.

I brought this one back to freebsd-security to see if I'm the only one that
has a problem with removing suid from uucp or removing uucp from the base
distribution --

I'll avoid continuing this if others here think I should drop this one.
I don't want to suck bandwidth if there's not a serious effort to change
the way FreeBSD ships.

It may be I'm just  having a bad day -- but I think:

The day FreeBSD stops including stuff like UUCP in the base system is the
day I find another (NetBSD/OpenBSD/Linux) OS.

I like the fact it is ALL of Unix.  Put a package together that will
shut down the SUID stuff -- keep this out of the standard distribution.

Most linux admins have never seen Cops/Tripwire/TCP Wrappers. If you're
allowing others to connect to your machine you need to determine the amount
of risk you are willing to allow and work to decide how to protect yourself.
Inherent with connectivity is risk.  Inherent with protection is knowing
that NO machine is automatically secure out of the box.

I worked with a number of commercial Unix systems running C2 and B2 security
and they all came in an unsecure manner and you turned on the audit and
security features used to bring them to a more secure level.

If you want to connect to the internet then YOU need to firewall/harden
the security of the system.  If you're running it as an IN-HOUSE machine
you may not care about maximizing security.  It's a base-level functionality
vs. security debate.

> From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
> | >
> | > 	I don't deny there are people doing it, but anyone who wants
> | > to run UUCP knows enough to turn it on.  Most people don't use it;
> | > there exists a potential of a security hole, it should ship turned
> | > off, possibly with a script to turn it on.
> | >
> | > 	Want to take a stab at how many Freebsd users know what HDB
> | > stands for?  How it differs from Taylor?  Heck, how many know what
> | > uucp stands for?
> | >
> | > Adam
> |
> | Bill Pechter wrote:
> | Everyone I taught Unix admin knows all of that.  Anyone doing Unix admin
> | should know that.
>
> From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
>
> Should, but do they? This guy with the problem sure doesn't.  Most
> linux admins don't, if you read the cert summaries.  We need to
> improve the baseline.  You and I, and anyone else who wants to run
> UUCP can turn it on.

Bill

 Bill Pechter | 17 Meredith Drive Tinton Falls, NJ 07724 | 908-389-3592
 pechter@lakewood.com | Save computing history, give an old geek old hardware.
 This msg brought to you by the letters PDP and the number 11.