Date:      Thu, 06 Jul 1995 12:48:50 +0900
From:      Atsushi Murai <amurai@spec.co.jp>
To:        jleppek@suw2k.ess.harris.com
Cc:        davidg@Root.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: another reason not to change 0.0.0.0 into 192.0.0.1 in PPP

jleppek@suw2k.ess.harris.com (James Leppek) wrote:
:Atsushi,
:my peer accepts the valid IP. The negotiation works as it should.
:
:if a client provides an IP that is a hint to the provider
:that the client would "prefer" that address. The protocol provides
:the ability for the provider to refuse and offer an alternate.
:There are no rules about when the provider should refuse.

Right. There are no rules about when the provider should refuse.
I guess my explanation by English too much funny for you. But I
will try to explain it.

    Why your provider ppp is requestd for giving a new address
    by only "0.0.0.0" ? - No matter what address  passing to
    your provider, they should give you new address if they
    can't accepted.

:The ppp program works just fine there is nothing wrong with
:it. This entire thread is about the 2 lines of code that
:translated 0.0.0.0 to 192.0.0.1

As I mentioned previous mail as "historical reason", NetBlazer
(I don't have model name and firmware verison is old or current
one) could accept "0.0.0.0" as real ip address without proposing
a new valid address. So they choose "192.0.0.1" for temporary
address for starting a negotiation when set up "ifaddr 0 0".

:Those 2 line just happened to have caused some confusion.
:Not with the PPP protocol but with me (and apparently others) as to why
:it was in there.

:There is nothing wrong with my ppp link. I maintain a dedicated
:link with it which I am using now  :-)
:
:This is why my log files are not important or at issue.

Please give me it for make a plan for every things going right.
(Please don't say I couldn't make *negotiation* unless "0.0.0.0";-)

:Jim Leppek

Atsushi.

P.S. I am going to get out down town of tokyo now. But I will
     make a response whenever get back.(Hoply within same day;-)

--
Atsushi Murai                                         E-Mail: amurai@spec.co.jp
SPEC                                                  Voice : +81-3-3833-5341