Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 1996 21:11:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        jmb@freefall.freebsd.org (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Cc:        peter@taronga.com, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 1542, Adaptec 1742, Bustek 747, Archive Viper, Help?

> 	Peter, i may be missing something obvious here.  your boot messges
> 	for the archive viper are identical to mine for the archive anaconda!

My head exploded or something. I meant Anaconda.

> 	can you  post the syslog messags and the command line that
> 	you are using?

I already sent them to the hackers group last week, let me see if they're still
in my news spool.

tar cvfB /dev/nrst0 /

only got 412057600 bytes

	st0(aha0:5:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:2b8 asc:c,0 Write error
	st0(aha0:5:0): MEDIUM ERROR asc:c,0 Write error

Got the same result with

	dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/nrst0 bs=10k

And like I said, it's with 5 consecutive brand new unused tapes (either they're
new or someone did a hell of a bulk-erase job).