Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2012 18:32:44 +0200
From:      Sven Brandenburg <sven@crashme.org>
To:        Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFSv3, ZFS, 10GE performance

On 03/26/2012 04:30 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> How are you performing your testing?

ZFS directoy is mounted via nfs on client. I created several files
(4,8,16GB sizes) with random data in the exported fs.
Since I'm currently only interested in network saturation/nfs
optimization part of the equation, I only dd'ed those files to /dev/null
(testing several block sizes) on the client in one go, no random reads.
On a tangent: files made entirely out of zeroes are not a good benchmark
for measuring nfs performance. It knows(TM) :)

The zpool consists of only one slow disk to work out if data comes out
of L1ARC or from disk. After the first dd run all subsequent runs are
served from ARC, just as expected (the server has 96GB of RAM, so the
files should fit).

On another tangent: at first I tried to use md(4) as source for the nfs
exports before complicating things with zfs - as it turns out md is
rather slow, only about 0.7-1.0GB/s with ufs on it. Local reads of my
files once the ARC is 'seeded' are several times faster.

> Are you only interested in single threaded read performance to a single
> client?
My first item on the list is serving one client as fast as possible,
next step is multiple client machines (maybe these are conflicting
goals?). However, I figure that I should at least be able to press the
right buttons to dial in "fast" for one client :-)

regards,
Sven