Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 14:36:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Gestur A. Grjetarsson" <gestur@islandia.is>
To:        Gordon Henderson <gordon@drogon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone using Adaptec 2940 & ASUS '486 boards?

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 13:46:05 +0100 (BST)
> From: Gordon Henderson <gordon@drogon.net>
> To: freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
> Subject: Anyone using Adaptec 2940 & ASUS '486 boards?
>

> It's probably not a specific FreeBSD question - but I'm trying to get
> FreeBSD going on this combination.
>
>   ASUS 486 mainboard (PVI-486SP3)
>   AMD 486DX4/100 processor
>   64MB RAM
>   Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI card
>   Cirrus 5436 PCI graphics card
>   3com590 ethernet card
>   and 3 SCSI disks. (No IDE's)
>
> It doesn't work. The problems I see are the scsi disks not being
> recognised by the firmware on the SCSI card or, the machine hanging during
> the newfs part of an installation. It doesn't make any difference if the
> ethernet card in in or not so I don't think thats causing the problem.

check if the bios on this board is conflicting with the SCSI card's bios.

> I've double checked the board jumpers & BIOS settings, altered them,
> reset them back to defaults but with no luck.

check if this motherboard has an ide controller onboard, if so, check if
the interupts req are same as the scsi card.

> Anyone seen any similar problems with ASUS 486 mainboards or the Adaptec
> PCI SCSI cards?

we at islandia.is are using Adaptec 2940w SCSI2 with three diffrent systems,
all of them are working great.  One system is running the Adaptec with and
onboard ide controller, it identifies with all of the SCSI dev's along with
the ide disk.

  Med kvedju
  Sincerely

  Gestur A. Grjetarsson           gestur@islandia.is
  kerfisstjori islandia.is      sysadmin islandia.is

          http://www.islandia.is/~gestur
        http://www.islandia.is/misc/skvopn

 There are only three kind of people in the world !
  Those who know how to count,
	  		     and those who don't !