Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:37:54 +0100
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        "'Luigi Rizzo'" <rizzo@aciri.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Realtek card support

"Koster, K.J." schrieb:

> > > I have two RealTek network cards that I'm willing to send
> > > to someone who is
> > > going to update the FreeBSD realtek driver to support them.
> > >

> > what card is that and what is broken ?
> > both the ne and the rl driver works reasonably well with the 8029
> > and 8139 chips.
> >
> This particular card is branded "TP-Link", chip reads RTL8139B.
>
> It detects, configures and runs for a while, but drops the line after a
> while. (PPTP to my ADSL modem)

I got exactly this chip (RTL8139b) on a Realtek card working here 24/7
since about two months. I also got problems with dropped lines, but this
is because the ISDN "modem" drops the connection when the line quality
gets too bad. With a previous ISDN "modem" the darn box went into jabber
mode, the only thing helping after that was power cycling the "modem",
then ifconfig rl0 down; ifconfig rl0 up again. After changing the
"modem" to a small CISCO 1000, the line is stable.

No, I don't know what ISDN terminal adapter was dubbed "modem" by German
Telekom, it had only Telekom printed all over its face.

HTH
-Christoph Sold