Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 1997 23:12:51 -0600
From:      vanmaren@fast.cs.utah.edu (Kevin Van Maren)
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: AMI BIOS on Titan PRO

> > Also, let me elaborate a little on the AMI BIOS.
> > The Titan Pro (S1662/S1668) shipps with the Award BIOS
> > in most cases.  Recently an AMI BIOS became available.
> > However, it is not possible to Flash an AMI BIOS over an
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Award BIOS (well, it might be `possible').
>                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Hi Kevin !
>
> Why is it not possible, but might be possible ? Could you please
> explain that a little more in detail ?
>
> 	Andreas ///

Well, it comes down more to a Software problem than a hardware one.

Both BIOSes use the same Flash ROM.  Both BIOSes are both stored
in a 128k binary file that is written directly into the ROM.
However, the AMI BIOS uses a flash routine IN the ROM, so
you can not flash AMI BIOS with the AMI update utility since
there isn't any support in the Award BIOS.  The Award utility
checks the checksum-equivelent to make sure the Award BIOS
is intact, but of course, it isn't, since it is AMI BIOS.
I hope this makes more sense.  You can flash the BIOS if you
can trick the utility (or write your own).

Kevin