Date:      Sun, 2 Nov 1997 15:23:31 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@woozle.rinet.ru>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Getting info from a crashed disk

Hi there, hope you'll never put yourself in a situation similar to mine.

"FreeBSD woozle.rinet.ru 2.2.5-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE"

I had an IDE disk on my machine (Quantum FB 1080A, rather old). Some days
ago i type "pine" and got message complaining about reading my mailbox.
Moment look at the console got unrecoverable read error message.
Digging into a problem i found directories /var/mail and /usr/home
(yeah! :((() unreadable. System was 2.2.2-R. I install 2.2.5-R on a new disk
and tried to dump old /usr (mount it readonly) to new disk. dump prints many
error messages about non-readable disk areas but create dump file.
However, restore claims that file isn't dump at all.

Is there a reasonable way to get at least my home directory back?

Please cc your answers to my email address.
Thanx for your help.

Sincerely,
D.Marck
*** Dmitry Morozovsky --- D.Marck --- Wild Woozle --- marck@rinet.ru ***