Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:26:25 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        wanghongxiang@hotmail.com
Subject:   Re: Install on Seagate SCSI driver

(mailed and posted)

Hongxiang Wang wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
 > I want to install FreeBSD 3.2 Release on my computer which has a Seagate
 > ST318275LW 18.2GB SCSI hard disk. The kernel can probe my SCSI controller
 > and my SCSI hard disk correctly. But it always complains that "Unable to
 > transfer the bin distribution from wcd0c" after it try to "Extract bin into
 > / directory". I don't think it because of my CDROM. I tried to install from
 > NFS server, but the problem is same as before. Why?

When that error occurs, try switching to the second virtual
terminal by pressing Alt+F2.  That terminal is used to display
activity and logs.  It should give further hints about what
exactly went wrong.  (There is also a very simple command shell
running on the 4th terminal.)

If the error occurs for both CD and NFS installations, then the
installation media is not the problem.  Maybe there is a
problem extracting the base files to your disk.  Are you sure
that you partitioned the disk correctly?  In particular, is the
root partition big enough?  30 Mbyte should be the minimum if
/var and /tmp is on separate partitions (otherwise you'll need
much more than 30 Mbyte).

Does the error occur right at the start of the extraction, or
are some files successfully extracted before the error occurs?

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)