Date:      Sun, 03 Dec 2000 19:07:12 -0700
From:      garya@bea.com (Gary Aitken)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   no lo0 device on kernel boot

I've beat up my friends enough on this one...

4.1-RELEASE on an i586 scsi box from micron, de0 ethernet and ppp0 running
out a serial port.

I built a custom kernel (make depend, make, make install) and booted it.
After much hair-pulling, it turns out there was no lo0 device configured.
So I modified rc.conf to force
  network_interfaces="lo0 de0"
and all that does is cause it to display a message at boot time that lo0
is not present.

After even more hair-pulling, I've discovered the following:

Both the generic kernel (the result of the original installation, not
a result of a build of GENERIC; although a build of GENERIC also behaves
the same), and my custom kernel behave the same:

1.  When installed as /kernel and booted as the default (i.e. hands off)
    there is no lo0 device present.

2.  When the boot process is intercepted and they are manually
    booted using:
      boot:  0:da(0,a)/boot/loader /kernel
    the lo0 device is present.

When first installed from the release cd, I don't know whether the kernel
booted properly or not, because I didn't have networking set up and wasn't
paying any attention to the lo device.

So...
  Any ideas about what the heck is going on and how to fix it?

I'm running out of hair, and I didn't have that much to start with...

Gary Aitken