Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:12:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: a BSD identd

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Ian Dowse wrote:

> In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.9907130946220.76301-100000@janus.syracuse.net>, "Bria
> n F. Feldman" writes:

> >.
> >>
> >> Did you mean to avoid reading through symlinks using the open + fstat
> >> method mentioned earlier in the thread?
> >
> >No, I meant to avoid opening a file the user couldn't, or reading from a dev.
>
> Why not actually store the fake ID in a symbolic link? That way you just
> do a readlink(), which would be safer, neater and faster than reading a
> file. A user can set up a fake ID with something like:
>
> 	ln -s "Warm-Fuzzy" .fakeid

Hysterical raisins. ~/.fakeid being a text file is how it's always been done.
That would be a better idea if I didn't mind confusing the hell out of
people :)

> Ian

 Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@FreeBSD.org                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!        _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
       http://www.FreeBSD.org/              _ |___/___/___/