Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 18:13:45 +0100
From:      Kresimir Kumericki <kkumer@phy.hr>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Permissions of /usr/ports ?

  When installing new packages on Unices I usually follow
the procedure where I do all the preparatory work (fetching,
applying patches, playing with configuration, building
the executable, testing) as nonprivileged user and only do "make
install" as root. (BTW, I do "make -n install" first.)
  Now, I cannot do that with FreeBSD ports because nonprivileged
users don't have write permission on /usr/ports . What do
you people do? Do everything as root?
  If I made /usr/ports/* writable by some other user or group
I presume that that would interfere with updating the ports via
cvsup.
  Any suggestions or comments?