Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 1995 21:30:39 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More nits

On Nov 1, 11:40, Julian Elischer wrote:

} > > 2. The SCSI tape driver will rewind a non-rewinding tape under some
} > >    circumstances (I think it's when it detects an EOM).  I have a tape
} > >    with multiple files which is readable, but the second-to-last tape
} > >    mark seems to be flaky and an 'mt fsf 3' tends to go one mark too
} > >    far.  It was a real pain trying to read in the tape, since the
} > >    driver kept rewinding it.
} >
} > Hmmmmm!  I'll let some of the SCSI hackers on our list field this one.
} > I don't actually use tapes in my daily life, so I've no direct
} > experience with this behavior.
}
} I have a problem with this..
} it might be the drive itself.....
} I don't think WE ask it to do that....

Hmm, but if I remember right, an "mt status"
of a rewind tape device WILL rewind after the
status has been printed.

This was a little surprising, since I was not
used to this kind of behaviour on other BSD
derived systems.

IMHO, a "mt status" should print information
about the tape, but should NOT CHANGE the
state of the tape at all ...
(Same for /dev/erst0: A "mt status" should not
eject the tape. But I've got to admit that I
did not check whether it does ...)

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160