Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 2000 10:06:08 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>, freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Borg SRM?

On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 05:35:17AM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > Are there systems recently manufactured, for which SRM is not
> > > available?
> >
> > No.
>
> I was under the impression that there were a lot of Alpha
> systems without SRM capability to be had for very cheap,
> now that they won't run NT, what with there not being an
> Alpha NT to run.  Most of the ones on OnSale and eBay fall
> into this category.

Generally speaking I think you are refering to the PC-like
Alpha XL and XLT machines. These only have ARC/AlphaBIOS because
they were designed & mfgd by DEC's PC division.

There is a second group of machines that have hacked-SROM
code that makes them unusable with VMS/Tru64. These are the
white-box variants of the fully-capable Alphas that can do
T64/VMS. These have SRM available.

The white ones are cheaper. And FreeBSD can run on both
white and full-blown (blue) boxes because FreeBSD understands
the SROM hack. See the source code for more info.

> pretty current, or there wouldn't be qestions about MILO
> and ARC still being posted to the -alpha list... if they
> weren't an issue, then the questions would have already
> faded away.  Instead, it seems to me that the people
> asking the questions are being beaten away with a stick.
> Intimidating people into not asking is not the same as
> them not asking on their own.

ARC/AlphaBIOS-only machines are boat anchors unless used with
Linux. As we all know Linux is not everybodies' favorite. Hence
the call fro FreeBSD on them ;-)

--
Wilko Bulte  	 					Arnhem, the Netherlands
wilko@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org 		http://www.nlfug.nl