Date:      Fri, 09 Apr 1999 00:02:29 -0400
From:      david mankins <dm@k12-nis-2.bbn.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   lnc driver on Hitachi Visionbook with 3.1

I just installed 3.1 on my Hitachi visionbook pro 7650, with 64MB of
memory.

This machine had formerly (and happily) been running 2.2.8 with Kame
patches.  (It was a full install since I wanted to also repartition my
disk.)

The stock kernel off the 3.1 CDROM (or whatever one ends up with after
having done an installation without building a kernel) comes up fine,
and is able to use the LNC ethernet interface with no difficulty.

However, when I compile a kernel from the sources (using the GENERIC
configuration, changed to enable APM) and reboot, I get the error
message:

	lnc1: Memory allocated above 16Mb limit

at startup (this message does not appear with the generic kernel).

Attempts to access the network give me:

	lnc1: Missed packet -- no receive buffer

Does anyone know how to get my lnc to work (short of taking out all
but 16MB of memory...)

- david mankins (dm@bbn.com, dm@world.std.com, phone(US): 617-873-2873)