Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2017 13:15:35 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
To:        Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg fails w/scfb: Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 11:07:15AM -0700, Pete Wright wrote:

> On 03/20/17 11:04, Bob Willcox wrote:
> > I had to reboot my system this morning (power outage over the weekend forced
> > it) and now X won't start, failing with these error msgs from the Xorg.log:
> >
> > [   143.327] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
> > [   143.327] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
> > [   143.327] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
> > [   143.327] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for scfb
> > [   143.327] scfb trace: probe start
> > [   143.327] (II) scfb(1): using default device
> > [   143.327] scfb trace: probe done
> > [   143.327] (WW) VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card support
> > [   143.327] (EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
> > [   143.327] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
> > [   143.327] (EE)
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > [   143.327] (EE) Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs        for all framebuffer devices
> > [   143.328] (EE)
> > [   143.328] (EE)
> >
> > This is on an Intel NUC system with a i7-5557U (Broadwell) CPU. The uname -a
> > output is:
> >
> > FreeBSD tavion.austin.ibm.com 10.3-STABLE FreeBSD 10.3-STABLE #3 r315638: Mon Mar 20 11:44:00 CDT 2017 root@tavion.austin.ibm.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TAVION  amd64
> >
> > This system has been running with the scfb frame buffer driver for a couple of
> > years now with X running fine (if a bit slow).
> >
> > I just updated my ports 3/14 to revision 436172. Hadn't rebooted till today.
> >
> > I updated the system this morning hoping that would help, but no such luck as
> > I still get the same failure.
> >
> > Note that I am loading the i915kms.ko module as instructed in the
> > /usr/ports/UPDATING file (have been doing that all along) so it would seem
> > that I've run into something else.
> >
> > Also, reading the FreeBSD wiki for SCFB I added this file in
> > /usr/local/bin/etc/xorg.conf.d/driver-scfb.conf:
> >
> > Section "Device"
> >      Identifier  "Card0"
> >      Driver      "scfb"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Without any descernable change.
>
> On my i7 skylake system I have inserted this like in my xorg.conf:
>
>          BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
>
> This has allowed me to use modesetting, intel and scfb Xorg drivers
> without issue.  I am not sure why X isn't able to autodetect the
> appropriate BusID though...
>
> hope this helps,
> -pete
>
> --
> Pete Wright
> pete@nomadlogic.org
> @nomadlogicLA

Thanks for the reply Pete. Would you mind sending me all of your xorg.conf
file? For some reason this system had been running w/o one all this time but I
think it's time for me to create one for it. At this point the closest thing I
have to one is the driver-scfb.conf file I showed above.

Thanks again,
Bob

--
Bob Willcox    | You're dead, Jim.