Date:      Thu, 09 Aug 2001 23:55:45 -0400
From:      Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   calculating uptime

I currently run Windows and Linux about evenly now, going several days at a
time between voluntary reboots to switch to another OS.  I got curious
about how many of my reboots aren't voluntary (i.e., due to
crashes/instability) so I started paying attention to the uptime.

Since Windows has no uptime command, I downloaded a few available utilities
designed to give the time since the OS was booted.  The utilities I got
seem to work differently.  Some of them seem to calculate the difference
between the current time and the boot time, and others seem to count the
number of system ticks(*).  Since I tend to put my computer to sleep while
I'm not using it, this creates a pretty large discrepancy between the
reported uptimes during the course of a week.

My question is, what *is* the correct way to calculate uptime?  Does the
time that a computer is sleeping count?  One the one hand it would seem
that since the computer is idle that it shouldn't; on the other, since it
can still respond to system events (and hence can still crash) it seems
like it should count for something.  What are your opinions?  And what is
the UNIX way?

--Chip Morton

(*) - And what the hell is a "tick" anyway?  How many of these are there
per second?