Date:      Fri, 07 Mar 2003 14:18:20 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: seeking advice WRT maintaining private FreeBSD ports branch

Brian Reichert wrote:
> I'm exploring tweaks to various ports, for my private use.  Some
> of these tweaks can't be addressed via pkgtools.conf or abuse of
> environment variables, and instead required actual modifications
> to files.

[ ... ]

> What I want is to somehow preserve my local tweaks, such that they
> get reapplied to my working copy upon a checkout.

[ ... ]

> So, does anyone have any concrete examples of how I can accomplish
> this, or at least provide some magic terminology, such that I can
> better pursue web research?

This doesn't directly answer your question, but it does directly
address your problem...

Submit your tweaks back to the port maintainer.

If they are tweaks to the software the port represents, rather
than tweaks to the port, then submit them back to the original
author of the software in question, and they will come in through
the FreeBSD port that way.

I've actually spent a substantial amount of time, on various
occasions, going through the patches in the ports tree, and, as
long as they don't do something like break the ability of the
code to run on non-FreeBSD platforms, cleaned the patches up and
submitted them back to the original vendors.  Mostly things that
don't require a big pipe to download before I can do the work.

For example, I've submitted a number of patches to "bind", "MySQL",
and so on, this way.

I like to do this, because I like to see code compile and run on
FreeBSD "out of the box", without having to be filtered through
the ports system.  If you are building an embedded product, and
want to use software for which a port, with patches, exists, then
it really sucks to use the port, because you need to include a
copy of the software in your local repository, and that's pretty
immiscible with the way the ports system works.  Sending patches
back so that ports are as "vanilla" as possible lets me keep my
options open that way.

-- Terry