Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2017 00:11:51 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Baho Utot <baho-utot@columbus.rr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Building base source

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 09:40:37 -0400, Baho Utot wrote:

> On 06/09/17 23:23, Polytropon wrote:

> >> I have already looked at that.  That is why I have the questions.  I
> >> want to build the base as a user and have it install its stuff into a
> >> subdirectory.
> >
> > There are two variables that you will need to set: the directory
> > where the build happens, and the one where the result from that
> > build will be written to. The solution is quite simple, and of
> > course already present in the build infrastructure:
> >
> > Set MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX and DESTDIR to locations where your $USER
> > has write access.
> >

> I want to build with a user so if I make a mistake ( very likely ) it
> will not damage the running system.  I have found that make
> installkernel and installworld requires root user because it sets the
> user as root perms regardless of where the install is going.

I think the main problem here is things like setuid; those
tasks cannot be performed by a non-root user. Maybe you can
check if a memebership in the groups wheel or operator is
sufficient? In worst case, use su, sudo, or super (while
having MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX and DESTDIR set to non-system
locations).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany