Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 1996 21:48:27 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Read-only root partition. [SYSLOG]

As Paul Richards wrote:

> > /var/run/log, and a symlink to /dev/log to help the transition.
> >
> > We might even try convincing the other BSDs of this.

> I think this is the way to proceeed. /dev/log shouldn't really be
> there and rather than work around it in the devfs implementation we
> should strive to get the "standard" changed to /var/run. A symlink
> will be fine for backward compatibility (I'm not even sure we should
> have the symlink one all our own binaries have been changed but
> document it so people can add it if they have older binaries).

As long as people need to run things like Netcrap, we are doing best
by shipping the systems with the symlink.  Remember, Netcrap is even
still at X11R5 (the `nls' stuff, people like Kaleb Keithly have long
been complaining about this ancient crap), so i wouldn't expect them
to move over to /var/run/log within this decade even if BSD/OS decided
to go this route just today.

--
cheers, J"org