Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 95 22:40 CDT
From:      uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu, bde@zeta.org.au, hackers@freebsd.org, harry@hgac.com, jkh@violet.berkeley.edu, ache@astral.msk.su
Subject:   Re: Tandy DC-1200 modem (also DC-2212s)

[1]If the modem can't be correctly configgured, I *STRONGLY* urge
[1]replacing the modem.  A Tandy DT1200 modem won't pass ^N characters,
[1]and I would hardly suggest hacking all comm software to avoid ^N
[1]to make the bogus modem happy.

I concur.  The Radio Shack DC-1200 (1200 baud) also uses three
CONTROL-Ds in a row to disconnect, with no time limit on spacing.  I used to
disconnect myself all the time when paging down in vi.   As far as I know,
CTRL-N wasn't an issue, but the modem is so ancient, and its handling of
DTR and other signals is "non-traditional".   There is nothing equivalent
to AT&D2 or &D3 to reset things after a call.  The 16/6000 XENIX had a
special kernel dialer to handle this modem.  The DC-1200 also has nothing
equivalent to Hayes AT commands.

That modem was actually made by another company and Radio Shack just
sold them.  You had to send them back with $300 to the original manufacturer
to get them repaired.   Throw all DC-1200 and DC-2212 modems away.  They
don't work with anything, not even with DOS applications.

I left a DC-1200 in my Radio Shack office (on purpose) when our department
moved since we didn't want it anymore.  Tandy sold it as excess material at
its outlet store.  The modem went through an unknown number of hands
over four years and eventually made it to the Dallas monthly Sidewalk sale,
where a local UNIX admin saw my name on the back of the modem and bought it
for $1 and gave it to me at the monthly area USENET admin lunch.  Like a bad
nickel, it came back.   The next time I got rid of it, I removed my name
first.

Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|"Remember the Tandy 16/6000?
or uhclem%nemesis@fw.ast.com (Fastest Route)| BugChk SckMud: Shut her down
...letni!rwsys!nemesis!uhclem               | Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"
...decvax!fw.ast.com!nemesis!uhclem         | Indicates a stack imbalance
					      in the Z80 I/O drivers.  Really!