Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 09:42:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
To:        mrm@MARMOT.Mole.ORG (M.R.Murphy)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ST43400N

M.R.Murphy writes:

> > > You want to share what you've tried for the /etc/disktab
> > > entry for the device?

> >  The drive hangs before a "fdisk sd1" completes, so I haven't
> > even gotten as far as writing a disktab for it, since I can't
> > get the probed geometry values for it.

> When it probed 2777M, what else did it say?

sd1(ncr0:2:0): Direct-Access
sd1(ncr0:2:0): FAST SCSI-2 100ns (10 Mb/sec) offset 8.
2777MB (5688447 512 byte sectors)

> What kind of SCSI interface do you have? What low-level
> formatters do you have available?

	It's an NCR810 controller.  I don't believe it has any
low-level formatting capability, and I don't think it came with
much software, but I can see if it will let me lowlevel format
it.  Do you think that the problem is the low-level formatting of
the device?  Here's some info the sheet on the ST43400N has:

----
** Already low-level formatted at the factory with six spare sectors
per cylinder, one spare cylinders/unit, one system cylinder/unit, and
one diagnostic cylinder/unit.
----

-matt

--