Date:      Thu, 09 Feb 1995 09:15:48 -0500
From:      Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
To:        FreeBSD hackers list <FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Project Managment and Release Engineering

> We truly need someone with an accountant's heart (or better yet, an
> administrative assistant's) to take down all the details of who has
> what and basically keep a monster rolodex (or rolodex analog) from
> hell that lists each and every person who's ever contacted us and
> represents some resource [...]

I thought I would change the threadname to something closer
to the content it has now comprised.

One suggestion, rather than the top-driven rolodex oriented thing,
is to do what X does, and have a two-step release strategy.  Release
``Core'' FreeBSD at time T0, and release the ``contributed'' software
(The ports directory with the ``essential'' ports excepted, drivers,
filesystems, etc...) at time T1.  Between T0 and T1 the people who
own these things (on anyone else who cares) port them to the new
release of FreeBSD.  This is a more bottom-driven way, and it
husbands the resources of the FreeBSD group.

Robert Withrow, Tel: +1 617 598 4480, Fax: +1 617 598 4430 Net: witr@rwwa.COM
     R.W. Withrow Associates, 319 Lynnway Suite 201, Lynn MA 01901 USA