Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:19:44 +0400
From:      "Nickolay A.Kritsky" <nkritsky@internethelp.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updating security fixes without single user mode?

Hello Nuno,

Thursday, July 26, 2001, 4:57:30 AM, you wrote:

NT> Hello to all,

NT> At my workstation I'm tracking STABLE with no problems.

NT> At my server I just want to update the system with security fixes, etc.

NT> My question is:

NT> Tracking RELEASE_4_3 (for a RELEASE 4.3 system) is a good option, but after makeworld and makekernel, I need to
NT> go into single user mode and make installworld and mergemaster.

NT> The problem is that my server is at US and I live in Portugal! So, it's impossible to run
NT> the system in single user mode.

NT> What is the best way of maintain the system updated without single user mode?

NT> Patches? Packages?

NT> Thanks in advance,

Correct me if I am wrong, but AFAIK the only reason to run
installkernel in single-user mode is that some permissions cannot
cannot be overrided by root in securelevel >1 . So the first way is
obvious - run with securelevel 0. If you don't like it you can do
something like this: add following lines to your /etc/rc

if [ -f "/etc/rc.singluser" ]
then
        /etc/rc.singluser
        rm /etc/rc.singleuser