Date:      Fri, 06 Apr 2018 20:31:54 +0000
From:      Richard P Mackerras <mack63richard@gmail.com>
To:        Rance Hall <ranceh@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd root on zfs install

Hi

Zfs always writes to new space rather than overwriting a file. So the wear
(if that is what you are concerned about will tend to be relatively even.
You appear to have 2TB usb sticks. I wouldn=E2=80=99t bother to do more. I =
assume
your memory sticks are quick.

Back up important changing files to your spinning rust.
By the time you wear out a usb stick 2TB will be too small to care about..

Of course if your sticks are not quick then that is a different matter.
Swap is a biggie. You want to add swap in fast places.. you can add extra
swap and remove current swap so add extra swap via your fstab. You could
delete the current swap from fstab.

HTH

Richard

P.S. have you got Samba working?