Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:38:35 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Subject:   Re: libtool, not installing .la files?

--nextPart1695799.MsYoMaL28U

On Wednesday, 15. December 2004 16:00, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Can't you just keep them this time? If you remove them (again), you're
> > going to cause lots of build failures for KDE users (again)...
>
> How so?  I'm pretty certain that the .la files are not used.

KDE uses them and libtool records library dependency information into them =
=2D=20
and if prefers .la over -lfoo when doing so, i.e. if somebody compiles a pa=
rt=20
of KDE that uses libvorbis or libogg (like audio/arts), the respective=20
libtool archive will have a DEPENDENCY_LIBS line that, for example,=20
contains /usr/local/lib/libvorbisenc.la.

Now if somebody compiles another part of KDE that depends on that previous=
=20
part (like kdemultimedia which links in arts parts) and the libtool archive=
=20
is suddenly missing, the build will fail because libtool can't link.

The only remedy in that case is to recompile arts ... so if you plan to nuk=
e=20
the libtool archives from libvorbis and libogg again, please give me a head=
s=20
up before doing so - I'll preemptively bump PORTREVISION for affected parts=
=20
of KDE then.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org