Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 19:24:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Indicating patch levels

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Will Andrews wrote:

> Patchlevels are just indicated as a minor version bump.  I.e., if
> previous version was 1.6.3, and you now have patchlevel 1.6.3-2, we
> indicate that with "1.6.3.2".  Hence:

I don't like this for FreeBSD-specific port changes, like the addition of
a new patch file, or change in compilation defaults. I've been thinking
about this for a few days in regards to upgrading of packages, and more
importantly (for me) how to tell people unambiguously what version of a
package to fetch after a security hole has been fixed.

I don't like bumping the PORTVERSION because it looks like a different
release of the software, which it's not (and may cause confusion if people
talk about the FreeBSD version number to other non-FreeBSD users) - in
fact I tend to agree with the Linux style of appending a hyphenated local
revision number as being the best way to indicate this.

In other words, I'd like to add a LOCALVERSION which should be reset to 0
with each "official" version upgrade, and incremented each time there's a
local change to the content of the port, and packages would be named
according to:

${PORTNAME}-${PORTVERSION}-${LOCALVERSION}

Any other opinions?

Kris