Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 2015 17:30:55 -0700
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        lev@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on "Android stick"?

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Lev Serebryakov <lev@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hello Freebsd-embedded,
>

>  I'm thinking about air-gapped computer for some security tasks (master PGP
> keys, my own CA, things like this) which I could take with me anywhere (or
> put into safe!). And I'm thinking about cheap Andoid sticks with HDMI
> output, as they have form-factor exactly as I need/want (USB keyboard could
> be found anywhere now, and I'm not SO paranoid to be afraid of hardware
> keylogger).
>
>  Has somebody experience of installing FreeBSD/arm on such device?
>
> --
> Best regards,
>  Lev                          mailto:lev@FreeBSD.org

Another very different approach may be as follows ( If it is possible ) :

There are the following USB sticks with Physical Write Protect Switch :

http://www.amazon.com/Kanguru-FlashBlu30-Physical-Protect-ALK-FB30-8G/dp/B00JJIEHJE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442967418&sr=8-1&keywords=kanguru+flashblu30
( Kanguru FlashBlu30 with Physical Write Protect Switch ALK-FB30-8G )

http://www.amazon.com/Kanguru-FlashBlu30-Physical-Protect-ALK-FB30-16G/dp/B00JJIE95G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442967418&sr=8-2&keywords=kanguru+flashblu30
( Kanguru FlashBlu30 with Physical Write Protect Switch ALK-FB30-16G )

http://www.amazon.com/Kanguru-FlashBlu30-Physical-SuperSpeed-ALK-FB30-32G/dp/B00JJIEE4M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1442967418&sr=8-4&keywords=kanguru+flashblu30
( Kanguru FlashBlu30 with Physical Write Protect Switch SuperSpeed USB3.0
Flash Drive ALK-FB30-32G )

http://www.amazon.com/Kanguru-FlashBlu30-Physical-SuperSpeed-ALK-FB30-64G/dp/B00JJIEEA6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1442967418&sr=8-3&keywords=kanguru+flashblu30
( Kanguru FlashBlu30 with Physical Write Protect Switch SuperSpeed USB3.0
Flash Drive ALK-FB30-64G )

Install FreeBSD into one of them and move its switch to "Locked" position .
Use another USB stick for variable data used by ( FreeBSD in "Protected"
stick ) .

I have an 8 GB one . Linux is seeing it as "Not writeable" and "Writeable"
with respect to switch position , but I did not install any OS into it yet .

Is there any possibility that FreeBSD can be used from such a "Write
Protected" device with variable data in another USB stick device or USB HDD
?

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk