Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2013 04:41:26 -0800
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        Ali Okan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Y=DCKSEL?= <kaox.gen@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disadvantages of running 8.3 kernel on freebsd 8.2 system

--K/4a4vvARjOsFc7F

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 02:06:35PM +0200, Ali Okan Y=DCKSEL wrote:
> I know for UPDATING, it s not correct way, but i tried and 8.2 system wor=
ks
> with 8.3 kernel (copied 8.3 /boot/kernel directory to freebsd 8.2
> /boot/kernel) and it s not good solution but i want to know;
>=20
>=20
>    - What are specific disadvantages that i can see clearly, running 8.3
>    kernel on freebsd 8.2?
>    - What are user land tools those not match with 8.3 kernel on freebsd
>    8.2 system...?

Because of ... things I'd really rather not even think about, let alone
consider discussing ... there are ceratin machines at $work that are thus
configured.  (Yes, I'm working on repairing this self-inflicted wound.)

The only issue of which I'm aware is that if one wishes to use
mfiutil(8), it better be one that was built from 8.3 source; an 8.2
mfiutil run on an 8.3 kernel will panic the box consistently.

Peace,
david
--=20
Taliban: Evil men with guns afraid of truth from a 14-year old girl.

--K/4a4vvARjOsFc7F

--K/4a4vvARjOsFc7F--