Date:      Wed, 30 May 2012 11:34:54 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        "Brian W." <brian@brianwhalen.net>
Subject:   Re: kde4 on 8.3 and laptop

Hi,
Reference:

"Brian W." wrote:
> On May 29, 2012 10:28 PM, "Gary Aitken" <freebsd@dreamchaser.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 05/29/12 22:15, Jim Pazarena wrote:
> > > I had kde3 running just fine on 8.2 on my laptop.
> > >
> > > I have now installed 8.3 -and- kde4 on my laptop, and the kde system
> > > will not work as expected.
> > >
> > > when I type kdm (which is at /usr/local/kde4/bin/kdm)
> > > I get the expected login screen (however the mouse dies), and after I
> login,
> > > all I get is a small cli window in the top left corner. The mouse has
> gone
> > > dead, and the keyboard doesn't respond, altho there is a prompt in the
> cli
> > > window.
> > >
> > > All I can do at this point is hold the power button in to reboot.
> > > If I do not try running "kdm", the normal cli works 100%, the ethernet
> works,
> > > and the mouse always seems alive (altho in the cli the mouse is of no
> value).
> > >
> > > Suggestions would be very appreciated.
> >
> > I don't know about the mouse dieing.  I'm running 9.0 and I've seen that
> once or twice when first setting up X.  You don't need to reboot.  Do
<alt><Fn> to switch to a different vty.  Log in on that vty, do a ps to
> find the process you used to start kdm, (ps -ax | grep kdm) and kill -TERM
> that process.  That should get you back to a regular prompt on the original
> vty.  Do <alt><F1> to go back to that screen.
> >
> > Gary
>
> Ctr-alt-shift-backspace has also killed many a stuck x session.

& you can also, from another host (perhaps also running X,
so you still have full convenience/comfort :-) do an
	 rlogin or ssh or telnet stuckhost
& then do
	ps -laxww > /tmp/t ; vi /tmp/t
		look at the columns PID & PPID (parent of Process ID)
	ls -ltr /var/log
not only to find & kill stuck stuff, but to analyse what is getting stuck,
failing, & what is called from where, etc.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".