Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:26:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        satimis@yahoo.com (=?iso-8859-1?q?Stephen=20Liu?=)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Open Office - installation problem

> Hi Matthew,
>
> Tks for your advice.
>
> > > Can I use 'zxvf' to untar the packages and do
> > 'setup'
> > > to install OOo, the normal way not FreeBSD way?
> >
> > No -- in this case the files being referred to are
> > in fact FreeBSD
> > pkg's.  You can certainly extract the contents using
> > 'tar -zxvf', but
> > it won't do you a great deal of good.  This isn't
> > like the OO packages
> > for other OSes, where you unpack a tar-ball and run
> > an included shell
> > script to copy everything into the appropriate
> > locations.  The FreeBSD
> > pkg_add(1) program handles all that uncompressing,
> > untarring and
> > copying things completely automatically, as well as
> > doing some
> > additional stuff like registering the package in
> > /var/db/pkgs
>
> Noted with thanks.  I also want to install OOo 1.1.1
> following FreeBSD way.

But, doing a pkg_add of a package is the FreeBSD way.
It does everything normally including registering the package.

Do you mean by using ports?
You can work on that, but the build of OO is huge and takes
a lot of disk 4GB and a lot of time.   If you are really excited
about going through all that, go ahead.

////jerry