Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2023 09:08:43 +0100
From:      Joseph Koshy <jkoshy@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Expected native build times on an RPI4?

void> 2. get good cooling and clock the cpu. Mine is clocked to 2.1GHz.

Thanks for the tips (1) to (6).

I do have a heatsink for the device. Temperatures were
around 45C during the build, as measured using 'sysctl
dev.cpu.0.temperature'.

void> I forgot to ask - why are you using -j3? I use -j4 or -j6

No particular reason.  I was playing around with various -j
settings, and -j3 just happened to be the last one used.

rolf> Are you operating your RPi from a =E7=8C=B6D card?

Yes.

  % dmesg | grep mmc
  mmcsd0: 16GB <SDHC SC16G 8.0 SN 027A0D54 MFG 03/2020 by 3 SD> at
mmc1 50.0MHz/4bit/65535-block

rolf> That said, your build speeds could be vastly improved
rolf> if you attach an external SSD to one of the USB3.0 ports of
rolf> the RPi, and run buildworld on that one.

Noted.

dave> SD cards are generally very slow and I have had them take
dave> a day+ to build.

Thanks for confirming.

I'll try with an external USB drive.

Thanks,