Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 1996 15:14:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 3.2 now available.

> > One with the misc fonts.dir fixed so the JDK will "just work"?
>
> There's no ``fonts.dir'' fix generally applicable.
>
> The fonts from the `misc' directory have been split among various
> packages for convenience.  That's why you are _supposed_ to run a
> mkfontdir after installation, and that's what the postinstall.sh
> script of XFree86 3.2 does.  (Only one out of 16 or so possible
> installation cases will end up with the correct fonts.dir otherwise.)

How about running it in the postinstall script for each of the
packages it might affect, then?

Also: the default fonts.dir could be made to not include the optional
items by default, so that it *will* work by default.  The only catch
to doing it this way is that you may add fonts in a packages, and if
they have bogus post-installs that don't do mkfontdir, the new fonts
won't be available.

Better that optional components not be available without user action
than "unrelated" software fails to operate without user interaction.

Fail safe or don't fail.

Either way, it's still bogus to not do the mkfontdir as part of the
package postinstall... it can be done, it should be done.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.