Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 21:38:47 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fxtv 0.43

Got some new toys put into this version.

    - Image Save-to-Disk - saves the last frozen image (TIFF)
    - Audio Save-to-disk (Raw, AU, AIFF, WAV, VOC, MPEG-2, MPEG-3)
    - Video Save-to-disk (TIFF sequences and/or MPEG video stream)
    - FPS control added
    - Doesn't kill the CPU anymore.  Virtually no load for direct video
      mode, and surprisingly little load even in ximage mode.

And a few things (see the ChangeLog for details).  Be sure to check out the
sample clips, and keep in mind the 30fps clip was captured on an IDE disk
if you can believe it, so you SCSI folks will be doing even higher res at
the same rate.

     A few notes about the new features.  There are some new build- and
run-time dependencies (libtiff, sox, mpeg_encode, etc.).  See the README
for details on building, installing, and running this version and the
utilities it calls.

     Also, 0.43 delivers on a slightly hacked version of the bt848 driver.
FPS adjustment didn't work with previous versions, but with this version it
at least works for single-field.  The Bt848's FPS control is used both for
throttling the video stream while capturing to disk as well as for
displaying continuous video on the screen.

     As always, feel free to add things into fxtv and mail new features/
comments/bug reports/etc. anytime.  There's plenty of room for video
capture optimization and support enhancements (what's there now is really
just first-cut).  A few of the many things that still can be done to to
beef it up include:

     - interleaved capturing to multiple disks
     - simultaneous audio and video capturing
     - capturing 24-bit instead of 16-bit if there's enough disk bandwidth
       available
     - capturing YUV (instead of RGB and converting later), and
     - making the "Optimize" algorithm more intelligent :-)

It'll also be worth trying capture to an LFS once John Dyson gets it put
back together (seems like I read that he's working on it).  Should give
better throughput.

Incidentally, I did try capturing to raw hard disk devices and found I got
a higher consistent FPS throughput (i.e. no "hickups") writing to a UFS, so
I didn't put in support for capturing to device files in 0.43.  Easy enough
to hack in though if somebody wants to play with it.

     Have fun, and let me know how it goes!

Randall