Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 19:53:51 -0800
From:      "vizion communication" <vizion@ixpres.com>
To:        <freebsd-smp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SMP on Proliant 5500

Hi

Here is the system:

Compaq Proliant 5500
Quad Xeon 500Mhz
Booting from Compaq Smart Raid configured to give 3 virtual
drives
JBOD on seperate adaptec SCSI 2 PCI card
Fibre Channel Array 1.2T
Adaptec AHA 6944A/TX 4 port PCI 10/100
NVidia PCI TNT2 M64 32M Video card - working fine  after a
struggle - configured as vesa vesa!
Built in ATI Rage IIc (DISABLED) on standard peripheral
interface
FreeBSD 4.7

My first attempt at configuring this system for SMP was a
total failure!! I lost my original configuration
as I was unable to re-start successfully with kernel.old. I
have successfully rebuilt the configuration as single
processor and am ready to have another go to build as SMP.
Before doing so some handholding advice would be very
welcome. I have not been able to find guidance for building
an SMP kernel but I have no doubt not been looking in the
right place!! I have looked at the LINT file & commented
out:

cpu     I386_CPU
cpu     I486_CPU

and then added the lines
options  SMP
options  APIC_IO

is there anything else I need to do prior to making the
kernel?

Also if there is someone with a similar system who could
send me a copy of a successful kernel conf file I would be
most grateful
Thanks

David