Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:59:13 -0400
From:      "Will Saxon" <WillS@housing.ufl.edu>
To:        "Grzegorz Czaplinski" <G.Czaplinski@prioris.mini.pw.edu.pl>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: HP or Compaq servers.

Gregory,

We have a lot of their machines, and have been happy with them. While we =
are still primarily a Microsoft shop, we do have one DL360G3 running =
5.1-RELEASE without difficulty. We also have another just like that one =
running Slackware something.

We are using 2 36GB drives in a 'raid-0' stripeset off the built in =
Smart Array 5i+ controller. The machine has dual Xeon 3.06GHz processors =
and 2GB of ram. We have not had any problems with the integrated =
Broadcom ethernet controllers (bge driver). Everything is detected and =
works great.

I only have 2 complaints:

One is that the keyboard port doesnt seem to work with our KVM solution =
(a raritan paragon). The dongle we tried gets power from the keyboard =
port and that works since we can get video. However, we did not get any =
feedback from the keyboard. Plugging a keyboard directly into the =
machine works fine and using the dongle on another machine with the same =
keyboard works. We have seen this on both of the DL360G3's we have.

The other issue is that there is no health monitoring driver for FreeBSD =
yet. My understanding is that one is in development and near completion. =
This would be a good thing - making world typically kicks the fans into =
high speed, and the only way to quiet them back down is to reboot the =
machine. I added CPU_SUSP_HLT to the kernel on that machine and it seems =
to get noisy less often. When the fans go into high speed mode they are =
pretty loud.

Other than those two things, they are good machines that seem to work =
just fine with FreeBSD.=20

-Will