Date:      Fri, 20 Jan 1995 15:50:39 -0600
From:      Jim Pirzyk <pirzyk@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   shell bug???

I have installed pdksh and ksh on my Freebsd 2.0 SNAP machine and I have
found what looks liks a bug in FreeBSD somewhere.  When I first login or
spawn a subshell, I get these errors:

set: Illegal option -o viraw
autoload: not found
_cd: not found

These commands only exist in my $ENV file, which is ~/etc/rc.ksh and
they do not happen when I test the file with 'ksh etc/rc.ksh'  Here
is a typescript of what I have tested.

Script started on Fri Jan 20 16:40:12 1995
set: Illegal option -o viraw
autoload: not found
_cd: not found
pirzyk@amigo:~/etc
1>ksh rc.ksh
pirzyk@amigo:~/etc
2>sh rc.ksh
set: Illegal option -o viraw
autoload: not found
_cd: not found
set: Illegal option -o viraw
autoload: not found
_cd: not found
pirzyk@amigo:~/etc
3>ksh
set: Illegal option -o viraw
autoload: not found
_cd: not found
pirzyk@amigo:~/etc
1>exit
set: Illegal option -o viraw
autoload: not found
_cd: not found
pirzyk@amigo:~/etc
4>exit
set: Illegal option -o viraw
autoload: not found
_cd: not found
Script done on Fri Jan 20 16:40:40 1995

This file worked fine under 1.x (starting with 1.0 Gamma) and it also
work under Solaris, IRIX, SunOS, CLIX, and every other os runing a ksh.
But it also was happening under 2.0 RELEASE, but there were more error
messages, which I cannot remember.

The problem is that it seems that to run a subshell, it is first running
/bin/sh and the $ENV file gets executed through that.  This is the only
time I can force the errors to show up.

This does not happen when I have users running /bin/csh.

- Jim Pirzyk
System Administrator, Walt Disney Feature Animation Florida         (*)/ (*)